1. People who “hate getting old” are idiots. Every year is a privilege. Let me tell you, callow miserabilists: getting to 60 feels like a triumph.
6. When someone starts a sentence “I’m not being…”, they always are.
8. All these memories darting through my mind like discarded fairground goldfish in a sewer. The random kindnesses of strangers, how they glide and shimmer.
17. The scarier the world becomes, the more important it is to focus on the correct use of “less” and “fewer”.
35. There is not a single bad mood that cannot be lifted, however grudgingly, by reading a Larkin poem.